Quinte Humane Society
9 month Full-Time Contractor Position
April to December 2021
Join the dynamic Quinte Humane Society team as we move our organization forward with a new look, a new energy and into a new shelter building in 2022.
Located in Belleville ON, the QHS is a registered charity that serves all of Prince Edward and Hastings Counties. We are a non-profit organization that is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. Our community-based shelter provides a safe and caring place for as many as 2,200 sick, abused, neglected and homeless animals each year.
Since 1993, we have been affiliated with the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (OSPCA), but remain a locally run, locally funded shelter with all dollars raised remaining in the community.
The Marketing and Communications Manager is responsible for overseeing the ‘soft rebrand’ of the QHS as the leader in animal welfare in Hastings and Prince Edward Counties and working under the direction of the Executive Director to develop and implement promotions and media exposure for shelter operations and special events as well as with the Capital Campaign Manager for same regarding the new building fundraising campaign and external communications. This position will also work with the QHS Marketing and Promotions committee comprised of staff, Board and volunteers.
Primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
· Develop an initial survey to gauge and assess community awareness and opinions
· Amalgamate and assess all existing databases/email addresses; implement an email signup on the QHS website
· Design a content calendar for email blasts to various constituents and stakeholders
· Review and make recommendations for all existing print and digital promotional material as well as the website; liaise with designers/design firms and oversee production and distribution
· Educate the public with a strong, consolidated campaign to clearly deliver the strengths of the organization through media releases, social media, blogs, print and broadcast media
· Build relationships with the media; provide media opportunities and respond to inquiries as required; seek opportunities for regular columns/articles regarding animal care/adoption and coordinate content
· Develop content for direct mail annual giving renewals and acquisitions and coordinate mail-outs
· Build and maintain a network of essential media contacts, including local and national news publications, trade publications, journalists and other contacts
· Assist with the development and execution of editorial strategies, content calendars and writing guidelines/best practices for external client communications
· Post-secondary degree/diploma in English, journalism, communications or marketing, graphic/web design, digital media, public relations or a related field is required
· Minimum of two years of professional experience in writing, editing or related role
· Minimum of two years of professional experience in digital marketing management
· Experience in the animal welfare industry is an asset
· Knowledge of fundraising best practices and ethical protocols is an asset
· Excellent skills and knowledge working with MS Office, Excel and presentation software
· Advanced knowledge of communications technology including CRM systems, digital scheduling and project management tools and social media platforms
· Demonstrated understanding of social media and social media management platforms and trends are a must
· Use of key marketing performance metrics and tracking tools in order to translate results into actionable insights for the Board of Directors
· Experience using InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Bridge or similar Photo library as well as video and audio editing software
· High level of comfort in the world of technology, video, photography, file sizes, editing, etc as well as the use of Cloud-based products such as Google Drive and Dropbox
Contract length: 9 months, to end of December 2021
Job Type: Full-time, Self-employed contract position
Schedule: 8 hour/day, Monday to Friday; flexible with some evening and weekend hours. Ability to work off-site
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your application with your cover letter and résumé directly to:
Quinte Humane Society, Attention Marilyn Lawrie, Executive Director; email@example.com no later than Friday, March 26, 2021 at 5pm EST. Please put: Marketing and Communications Manager in the email subject line.
The Quinte Humane Society wishes to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.